Joy, collaboration and leadership

 

It is a busy time for the NHS.  Wards and A&E are full, staff are exhausted, but you don’t need me to tell you that.

This Christmas I had Covid myself – it was worse than I thought it would be.  Watching your household go down with it was scary – especially my daughter.  Thankfully we are all on the mend, but the recovery is slower than I expected.  As a fully-fledged member of #EarlyRisersClub and a runner, I’m still slow to get out of bed at the moment.  I still do not have the lung capacity for running yet but I have managed some walks which I am so grateful for, I know I am far luckier than some. 

On my return to work I was asked to cover wards due to staffing and do some zoom calls – meaning all my meetings, my schedule, all the work I had to do stopped.  I have seen first-hand how pushed we have been and I have seen first-hand how amazing our NHS is.

On the wards I worked directly alongside several HCA’s, a TNA and international nurses.  We worked hard, patient care was tip top, and I met so many of our fabulous patients.  I never tire of hearing stories of their life, being with patients brings me so much joy and I have missed direct clinical work.  As a clinical educator it was lovely to catch up with so many of my preceptees and TNA.  I enjoyed hearing of their experiences, how they have grown, the challenges they have faced and overcome.  I would not have had that direct one on one time had I not been redeployed.  I am so proud of them.

I saw great leadership.  I saw HCA’s leading care in the bays and teaching a new student nurse.  I saw an international nurse lead a transfer.  I saw the Assistant Director of Nursing wheeling patients round herself!!  We also had very public thank you’s and appreciation from our Director of Nursing.  I love how pandemic nursing brings us all together and how we collaborate to deliver safe patient care.  Most of all I saw great kindness, to patients and to each other.

Pandemic nursing has brought me many experiences and I have learnt so much – I wonder what the next week will hold?  Hopefully more joy, collaboration and great leadership.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Preceptorship

It's in the CODE

Fundraising for Cavell Nurses Trust