It's in the CODE

 

Blog 2 here we go – I know I can’t believe it either!

 

Recently I’ve been thinking about the ‘Code’ – you know that NMC one that we all have to follow https://www.nmc.org.uk/standards/code/  Maybe it’s because I have to pay my annual fees soon or maybe it’s because everything’s a bit heavy right now.  It always brings me comfort to go back to the code, it brings me certainty in an uncertain time, allows me to order my thoughts, feelings, reflections in a way that really gets back to what it’s all about.

I don’t know about you but I’m tired.  Covid has used up a lot of energy.  Personal tragedy has hit me as I know it’s hit most people – add to that picking up the pieces at work whether it be patients and their family or supporting staff who are overwhelmed. 

So, I go back to the code to make sense of it all and number one is ‘prioritise people’.  Now think of those words ‘prioritise PEOPLE’, it could just say prioritise patients but it doesn’t.  Sometimes I think nurses forget we are people too, we are work machines, consummate professionals or superhero’s who save lives – we are all those things and more, but we are also people… People who get sad, people who get tired and people who need support.  We have these purple people at work ‘the Boo’s’ who are all about promoting our wellbeing and say things like ‘put your oxygen mask on first’ and all that https://www.boo-consulting.com/   Those are some wise words Boo’s.  We need to look after ourselves and other staff in order to deliver the best patient care.  We need to prioritise ourselves.

Imagine struggling through all of Covid, the same things you and I have struggled through, the uncertainty, the work load, tragedy – and now imagine being in financial crisis also or suffering domestic violence or battling terminal illness.

That’s where my friends at Cavell Nurses trust come in – they can give support to nurses, midwives and health care assistants in need – check them out at https://www.cavellnursestrust.org/ They are running an event all October called ‘10k your way’.  Now don’t panic, you don’t have to actually run 10k if you don’t want to!  You could do 10 sponsored star jumps, 10 laps of the pool, you could do anything you like!  This will help raise vital funds to support nurses and midwives in need.

One thing those Boo’s talk about is the circle of control.  This is a great tool if you don’t already know of it.  I can’t control Covid, I can’t control behaviours of other people, but in my circle of control is myself – so within me is the power to do good, help people by supporting Cavell Nurses Trust – I can do that, and it makes me feel good.  Acts of kindness make you feel good, that’s a research evidence-based fact my friends!  


So, let’s PRIORITISE OUR PEOPLE and support Cavell in raising funds for those who need it most.  Those who have given so much to prioritise your people – give back.  Join us in 10K your way in October or sponsor someone who’s taking part, make a team of your own, make it a discussion – PRIORITISE people.  It’s in the code………..

#carrythelamp #yearofthenurseandmidwife #10kyourway #snowdonchallange #cavellnursestrust



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Preceptorship

Fundraising for Cavell Nurses Trust