The research secondment

 

The research secondment

 

Oh Team Research

Where do I start?

I came for 6 months

And you stole my heart

 

I have LOVED every minute of my research secondment.  I have never felt more useful, inspired, motivated and valued.  It had been one of the proudest moments of my nursing career.  I started in late September 2020 and the team were in the middle of multiple urgent public health studies.  The workload was huge – and at this point only getting bigger.

 

When the pandemic started all research studies were put on hold and teams across the UK took on only urgent public health studies.  These studies were set up with lighting speed in the combined effort nationally and globally to fight COVID-19. 

 

To be able to say I was part of that.  That our District General was part of that. Wow.


Most of these studies were well underway when I joined the team but I was lucky enough to see the FALCON study from start to finish.   This was an A&E study which helped determine the accuracy of several new diagnostic tests for COVID-19.  Some studies were data collection like ISARIC (International Severe Acute Respiratory and Emerging Infection Consortium) where we would collect data from multiple systems on patients who had COVID so it could analyse patient’s age, gender, ethnicity, length of stay, treatment and so on.  Often this was very sad reading, but we all had the full support of the team who knew that it was ok to cry sometimes.  They would come over to cheer you up with a cup of tea, some cake and a kind listening ear.  I worked on the PAN-COVID study with the research midwife which was evaluating the association of suspected COVID-19 and confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection in women in pregnancy with, miscarriage, fetal growth restriction and stillbirth, pre-term delivery and vertical transmission. My favourite study I worked on was SIREN, (Sarscov2 Immunity & REinfection EvaluatioN).  I loved spending that 15 minute appointment with staff, hearing about what they were up to, how they were feeling, letting them offload.  We got wellbeing cards from Team Boo to have if staff needed, which they did at times, some clinic days were like that.  Other days we laughed and laughed, I saw pictures of new grandchildren born and puppy’s bought and we would dance around remembering pre COVID life!


Now let me tell you about the team.  It is the perfect team – a team where every single member of staff really cares about what they do and care about you.  They are so knowledgeable and passionate it is impossible not to catch the research buzz!  They taught me so much and I have learnt so many new skills.  Research is sometimes painted out as boring – but it is far far from it.  I’d encourage everyone to spend some time in research.  It is why we do what we do, the evidence base behind it all and endlessly fascinating.

 

Keep up the good work team research. It has been my privilege working with you.  You are all amazing!


#ResearchVsCovid #PinkScrubs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating Preceptorship

Inspiration

Fundraising for Cavell Nurses Trust